OUR 6/4 TIP WON! Which film is our 2018 Oscars Best Picture Tip? The 90th Academy Awards, which will give prizes to the cinema of 2017, takes place on Sunday 4th March 2018 at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood (Los Angeles, California). Jimmy Kimmel will host for the 2nd year in a row. There will be 24 categories, including Best Picture.
At the 2017 Oscars, Moonlight was awarded Best Picture (eventually after an infamous mix-up with the envelopes), Damien Chazelle won Best Director for La La Land, whilst Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea) and Emma Stone (La La Land) picked up Best Actor and Best Actress respectively.
For the 2018 Oscars, nine films have been nominated for Best Picture:
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri – Drama written/directed by Martin McDonagh. When her daughter is murdered but the police don’t seem interested enough, her bereaved mother (played by Frances McDormand) decides to place advertisements on 3 billboards to bring attention to the matter. Seven 2018 Oscar nominations, in total.
- The Shape of Water – Romantic horror starring British actress Sally Hawkins, directed (and part written) by Mexican director Guillermo del Toro. A mute janitor finds an amphibious creature in a water tank at a laboratory in the 1960s. The Shape of Water’s thirteen total Oscar nominations in 2018 (the most any film received in 2018) is only one less than the all time record of fourteen (jointly held by 3 films).
- Lady Bird – Comedy drama written/directed by Greta Gerwig, starring Saoirse Ronan.
- Get Out – Horror film, in which a young mixed race couple visit the home of the white woman’s parents.
- Dunkirk – War film featuring an ensemble cast, written and directed by British-American director Christopher Nolan. 100,000s of Allied troops retreated to Dunkirk in France, after the country is invaded by Germany during World War II. As the Germans close in, the troops are awaiting evacuation. The film features 3 interwoven stories (land, sea, air). Eight 2018 Oscar nominations, in total.
- Call Me by Your Name – Coming of age drama, chronicling the passionate relationship between two men in Italy in the 1980s.
- The Post – Directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep. The film is based on the true story of The Washington Post publishing the Pentagon Papers. Star Meryl Streep has also been nominated for the 21st time in 2018 (all her nominations have been for Best Actress or Best Supporting Actress – no actress or actor has had more acting nominations).
- Darkest Hour – War drama, directed by Joe Wright, in which British actor Gary Oldman plays Winston Churchill. At the start of World War II, arguably Britain’s most famous statesman faces an important decision regarding Hitler’s army.
- Phantom Thread – Fashion Drama set in London in the 1950s. Charles James (Daniel Day-Lewis in possibly his last film ever) is tasked with designing for high society and the royal family.
We think out of these 9 films, only 2 are likely to win: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri or The Shape of Water. It’s just a question of which film’s price offers the most value for us to name it our 2018 Oscars Best Picture Tip. For our 2018 Oscars Best Picture Tip, we see the most value in The Shape of Water’s price to win in 2018 which is 6/4 at Sun Bets. Odds checked on 23rd January 2018, but may change at any time.
THIS EVENT HAS FINISHED – IT’S TOO LATE TO PLACE A BET!! GREAT NEWS – OUR TIP WON!!