Which player have we picked for our French Open 2018 Women’s Singles Winner Tip? The French Open (from Roland Garros) is the second tennis major of the calendar year (the first was the Australian Open), and will run from Sunday 27th May to Sunday 10th June 2018. In 2017, Latvia’s Jelena Ostapenko defeated Romania’s Simona Halep 4-6 6-4 6-3. Ostapenko became the1st player from Latvia to ever win a Grand Slam. She was also the 1st unseeded player to win the French Open, since 1933.
Since Justin Henin won for the 4th time in 5 consecutive years in 2007, this event has been unpredictable:
- 7 different players have won the 9 Finals played since.
- Only Maria Sharapova (2012, and 2014) and Serena Williams have won twice in this period (2013, and 2014 – her 2nd and 3rd singles titles here as she also won in 2002).
We consider the following players as realistic contenders for our French Open 2018 Women’s Singles Winner Tip: Serena Williams, Simona Halep, Garbine Muguruza, Maria Sharapova, Elina Svitolina, and Jelena Ostapenko.
Out of these we see the most value in the prices of:
- Serena Williams (5/1 at Sun Bets*) – Since winning the Australian Open in 2017 (her 23rd Grand Slam singles title), she has missed 4 consecutive Grand Slams as she took time off before and after the birth of her child.
- Maria Sharapova (10/1 at Sun Bets*) – The Russian received a 2 year ban (later reduced) for failing a drug test at the 2016 Australian Open. Sharapova returned to the WTA tour in April 2017, a few months after her ban ended.
We could recommend both these players as our French Open 2018 Women’s Singles Winner Tip as they both have the pedigree, so it comes down to the most value. We think Serena Williams’ price is too short, given her lengthy absence from Grand Slam tennis. In contrast, Maria Sharapova’s 10/1 price on offer at Sun Bets*, represents super value for a player with a point to prove – so that’s our tip!
* Odds checked on 7th February 2018. Odds may change at any time.